Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

How hard could it be? At Home With Modern June shows you how to sew projects for your home

If I can make these, then literally anyone can

I don't consider myself much of a seamstress (I was going to say 'sewer' but then I realized that 'sew-er' as in 'one who sews' is indistinguishable from 'sewer' as in 'where poop goes'...which is probably why people say 'seamstress') but I can mend torn clothes, sew a hem, and make simple things like doll clothes or pillow covers. But even I found the projects in this book easy. As in, really easy. So easy, in fact, that I probably didn't need a book to tell me how to do them (like make a place mat or a simple pair of curtains).

At the same time, if you are someone who loves the look (or idea) of handmade items for your home but have absolutely no idea where to begin, this book might be perfect. The photos are aspirational and--as promised--modern, even though they're referencing a nostalgic time gone by. For instance, the author refers to her grandmother as "the only person she ever knew who wore an apron" then shows you how to make an apron. It's the book for people who find Pinterest exciting but too complicated.

But because the projects are so simple, At Home With Modern June does make me want to try the few ideas in the book that are slightly more intimidating (to me at least) like the Roman blind or the bed skirt ruffle. Since the other things are so easy, how hard could these ones be? If I actually do get a Roman blind finished, I'll be sure to update you with my results!

Ultimately Kelly McCants captures perfectly the current trend of "modern nostalgia," mixing old-fashioned patterns and ideas with modern sensibility and accessible techniques. The projects are probably too simple for the serious sew-er (see? it's hard to write that word) but are a great starting point for someone who desperately wants to be able to point at something in their home and say proudly, "That? Oh yeah I made it."


Simple and adorable apron
BOOK DETAILS:
At Home With Modern June: 
27 Sewing Projects for Your Handmade Lifestyle
by Kelly McCants
Publisher: Stash Books
Publication Date: March 1, 2014
View on Amazon

Source: NetGalley

This review originally appeared on my other blog, Cozy Little Book Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment